Is it safe to connect USB while batt is connected?

cr0mz

Is it safe to connect USB while batt is connected?

Post by cr0mz »

Is it safe to connect USB to the multiwii board while batter is still connected to the board and receiver? I'm thinking of this cause i want to see actual values in GUI while multiwii is running.

matbogdan

Re: Is it safe to connect USB while batt is connected?

Post by matbogdan »

cr0mz wrote:Is it safe to connect USB to the multiwii board while batter is still connected to the board and receiver? I'm thinking of this cause i want to see actual values in GUI while multiwii is running.

Also consider to first enter the serial than the battery if you have the propellers connected. Usually Arduino boards reset when you connect the usb/serial and if you have propellers you may get in a bump from your drone because of the wrong signal esc may get.
You can find yourself in front of a very upset drone that may attack you. Happened before with others, it can happen again ! Be very careful when you play with such devices or it may kill you or kill others.

Always plug the serial/usb and after power the motors.

Dual power depends on your board 3.3v / 5V and how it is the voltage regulators connected. To be able to answer if is safe, give more details of your board. What board, what you are using to power the sensors, FTDI, etc.
I do not recommend to use dual power until you are very sure what you are doing or you will produce white smoke.

If you are not sure about how your power is connected, better ask a friend that know some electronics to look over the connections. The other solution is to plug it yourself and close eyes and hope to do not see smoke; I do not recommend this solution.

captaingeek

Post by captaingeek »

definately want to remove the props for testing but other than that yes its possible to do. Depends on your setup. 1 BEC I had didn't like it and was actually backflowing voltage from the USB into the batteries causing the BEC to heat up. If you have a seperate BEC you may want to uplug it.

cr0mz

Post by cr0mz »

Thanks guys!

kalle123

Post by kalle123 »

I have seen that USB adapter on that German page

http://fpv-community.de/forum/showthread.php?tid=2792

(Scroll down to chapter 6)

Find it a good idea and I am using it myself.
Attachments
WiiCopter_USB_01_old.jpg