One simple BEC question

debuti

One simple BEC question

Post by debuti »

Hi there

What is better, to connect all ESC's BEC together to power the rest of electronics, or to just connect one BEC and leave the others in open circuit?

Thanks

ps. My ESCs are these 20A emax: http://www.banggood.com/Emax-Simonk-Ser ... 18126.html
ps2. Asking this cause i got one in flames the other day

Arakon

Re: One simple BEC question

Post by Arakon »

You should preferably use only the bec of one esc.

brewski

Post by brewski »

debuti wrote:Hi there

What is better, to connect all ESC's BEC together to power the rest of electronics, or to just connect one BEC and leave the others in open circuit?

Thanks

ps. My ESCs are these 20A emax: http://www.banggood.com/Emax-Simonk-Ser ... 18126.html
ps2. Asking this cause i got one in flames the other day

The best option is to use a switching UBec. You can buy a 3A one for under $10.
If you insist on using Bec from ESC then you must take the risk that when ESC is running hot the Bec being a linear regulator may shut down & quad crash.
I know the golden rule is to only connect one & remove the red 5V lead from the remaining connectors but I ran mine connected together (for redundancy of supply) for several months with no issues before going to UBec. If you do this you must measure the +5V from all ESCs & they must be within 2/10ths of a volt or you will get issues.
You say one of your ESCs blew up. Was this when flying of after crash?
If it blew up during flight it could be due to motor drawing in excess of 20A (too high cell Lipo or performance motor) if after crash possibly due to version of SimonK firmware that is not limiting current correctly when motor stalled.

debuti

Post by debuti »

Thank for your responses!

I will follow your advise and buy an external BEC, anyway, this weekend I use the method of tearing the red lead apart, and it behaves very well.
To ask your question, the ESC blew up the first time i ve mounted it, so i dont know if its faulty or i did a wrong connection. Anyway, the store replaced it :)

Thanks again!