Problem with HK 30A UBEC ESCs

MartinNPN

Problem with HK 30A UBEC ESCs

Post by MartinNPN »

Hello,

i have build a MultiWiiCopter, with the Paris Board. I have calibrated the board. But when i arm it and try to start it turns around. The copter makes circles and the motors spin off unregular.

I have tried to set the MAX/MIN Values of the ESCs but HK haven't got a manual for the HK 30A UBEC. Have somebody build one with the ESCs and can give me an advice ?

The break is deactivated.

Best Regards,
Martin

Ceros007

Re: Problem with HK 30A UBEC ESCs

Post by Ceros007 »

Are you sure your props a rotating on the right side?

captaingeek

Post by captaingeek »

from what I've heard you shouldnt have to mess with the min/max.

reset those to defult then calibrate the ESC's.

you can also try reseting the yaw direction.

MartinNPN

Post by MartinNPN »

Hello,

I have a Quadro + config and the props are rotating correctly.

Yes the min/max schould be wrong, but the HK ESCs have a very strange programming procedere. I have programmed the min/max but it seems to change nothing :(

Can anyone give me an advice with this ESCs ?

Reset may be a good idea, but how do i do that ? I can open the ESCs and erase the EEPRom, it is an ATMega8 i think.

captaingeek

Post by captaingeek »

how are you calibrating the ESC's?

MartinNPN

Post by MartinNPN »

Hello,

i'm connecting the rx of every ESC to Channel 1 of my reciver and then get channel 1 to my max Value, 125 % (Graupner). Then i connect the battery. This should set the max value i think.
Then i disconnect the battery and connect it again with the Min value. After that i reconnect it to the Ardurino.

Best Regards,
Martin

mr.rc-cam

Post by mr.rc-cam »

i'm connecting the rx of every ESC to Channel 1 of my receiver and then get channel 1 to my max Value, 125 % (Graupner). Then i connect the battery. This should set the max value i think. Then i disconnect the battery and connect it again with the Min value. After that i reconnect it to the Ardurino.

That seems wrong, at least for a common ESC. The standard throttle Cal method is typically:
1. Remove power from the Rx. For safety, remove all props.
2. Connect the ESC to the Rx's throttle channel port.
3. Turn on the Tx and move the throttle stick to max.
4. Apply 12v power to the ESC / Rx and wait for the calibration to be acknowledged as explained in the ESC's instructions. For example, the ESC will usually blip/beep the motor indicating that the max throttle point has been detected.
5. As soon as you receive the acknowledgement, move the throttle stick down to the min position.
6. The ESC min/max throttle range is now calibrated.
7. Repeat for the other three ESC's.

Note: If during steps 4-5 you hear the programming mode melody beeps, then you have waited too long. You will need to start over.
Also, the Tx's throttle T-ADJ (travel) mix should be set to ±125%. If you have only set the max travel to 125% then go back and also set min to 125%.

Edit: Added corrections.
Last edited by mr.rc-cam on Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.

captaingeek

Post by captaingeek »

3a apply 12v power to esc's
4 esc's will blip motors indicating that the max thottle point has been detected.

I cheat by removing 12v power from the ESC's, activating throttle on the FC and going max throttle, then quickly connect ESC's so they pick up max throttle. then onto step 5.

MartinNPN

Post by MartinNPN »

Hello,

thanks for your help !

After Calibrating the ESCs, some times :/ and changing the YAW direction everything ist ok, it flys very well.
Not so accurate as my Microcopter but very well. I think after some changes on the PID it woud be perfect.
It have a lot of power with the ESCs :)

Best regards,
Martin

mr.rc-cam

Post by mr.rc-cam »

3a. apply 12v power to esc's
4. esc's will blip motors indicating that the max thottle point has been detected.

Thanks for adding the extra details.

I cheat by removing 12v power from the ESC's, activating throttle on the FC and going max throttle, then quickly connect ESC's so they pick up max throttle. then onto step 5.

Keep in mind that by leaving the ESC connected to the Arduino, the min/max throttle curve will be affected by the throttle limit constants in the sketch file.

But I will admit that I cheat too. I have a little push button switch (and some special code) on my wiicopter. If I position the throttle stick at max and press the switch while I plug in the quad's battery, all four ESC's min/max are programmed precisely to 1.0mS/2.0mS for me. It is very cool. :)

After Calibrating the ESCs, some times :/ and changing the YAW direction everything ist ok, it flys very well.

That is good to hear.