My Balsa Wood Frame

Ceros007

My Balsa Wood Frame

Post by Ceros007 »

Here's the spec:
-Balsa wood frame
-Keda 20-28M http://kedamodel.com/product/a20m.html
-8x4 prop from HK http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=11321
-10x4.5 EPP on it's way
-Genuine/Original WMP+
-BMA180
-HK SS 25-30Ahttp://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=6458

Forget the yellow battery. I now have 2x Zippy's 2200mAh 40C.
Last edited by Ceros007 on Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

captaingeek

Re: My Balsa Wood Frame

Post by captaingeek »

:D im sure you had a feeling this was gona be coming but first crash / hard landing its gona break.

but hey why the heck not

Ceros007

Post by Ceros007 »

Balsa is pretty strong. I did not tried a free fall from 10m yet :lol: . I've broken a couple of props, crash upside down, plant one arm in the grass. It's still in one piece.

captaingeek

Post by captaingeek »

hmmmm nice :D

Ceros007

Post by Ceros007 »

captaingeek wrote::D im sure you had a feeling this was gona be coming but first crash / hard landing its gona break.

but hey why the heck not

Had a nice flight this afternoon. Ended in a crash. 3 broken props, battery went the hell away but the frame is intact.

Now, these EPP10x4.5 are getting expensive at 5$/pair + shipping...

Noctaro

Post by Noctaro »

Hey, i also had a balsa only frame.
I did a little animation on how i constucted this one.

Right now iam using aluminum instead of balsa, because it seems to be more stable and just mounted my paris board on a balsa plate, to get rid of vibrations.

awesomesquared

Post by awesomesquared »

Noctaro wrote:Hey, i also had a balsa only frame.
I did a little animation on how i constucted this one.

Right now iam using aluminum instead of balsa, because it seems to be more stable and just mounted my paris board on a balsa plate, to get rid of vibrations.

How much does your aluminum frame weigh? I just built one, with a similar design to the animated balsa one pictured and it weighs 319g... is that acceptable? This is my first build so any advice pertaining to the frame would be nice.

tovrin

Post by tovrin »

the weight is going to depend on your motors, props, etc. 320g isnt bad, my last frame weighed about 250, after all my motors, props, esc, FC, and battery were in place it weighed in at just over 1000g, but my 9 inch props, and 850kv motor was able to hover at 50% throttle, which was perfect for flight...until it crashed and ripped an arm off...

Noctaro

Post by Noctaro »

Hey!
My frame is around 400g when using the "aluarms" (dimension 10mmx10mm).
~1300 gramms flight weight (cam included but without FPV equip)
I am using 750KV Motors @ 12x4,5 Prop powered by 4000mah/3S LIPO, if flying FPV(+~150g).
Thats 800g power per arm, so it is able to counteract difficult inflight situations.
Also 10X3,8 props are quite ok, if its not too windy and FPV gear is not mounted. The smaller props also have less vibrations. (Keep in mind, vibrations are your biggest enemy :mrgreen: )

Using motors with high KV values(In order to use small props), you may encounter vibrations even if using very small props, because the faster spinning motors will induce their own vibrations. Also they might drain more Amps. (depending to the quality of the motor)

You should also think of your flightstyle. An acrobatic quad, should have higher kv and smaller props (For fast translations). While a FPV or Cam quad should have plenty of power(big props) to carry additional payload and low KV to minimize tearing and vibration.
Its like ying and yang :lol:

My tests have shown that a 8x4,7 prop@750kv was flyable(it hovers) but not stable. (Too less power to compensate fast translations or speedups.)
If you are not sure, wich combination of Prop/Motor/Akku you might need, maybe this helps a bit -> http://www.ecalc.ch/motorcalc_e.htm

If you need further tips, it would be useful to know the hardware you gonna use.

Greetz Noc

awesomesquared

Post by awesomesquared »

After a quick calculation or two, i determined that my flight weight will be close to your 1300g.

I am using 700kv motors (DT700 hextronik) and 11x4.7 props. with 20a hobbywing escs.

All my parts are on the way now, but my hobbyking shipment is delayed due to the backordered turnigy 9x :(

Opal

Post by Opal »

Brilliant frames! ;)