[solved] Accelerometer Drift--caused by Vibration?

spagoziak

[solved] Accelerometer Drift--caused by Vibration?

Post by spagoziak »

Hello folks,

After doing a complete overhaul on my mini quad, I rebuilt the core of my frame--new foam tape, new craft foam on top. The trouble is this: now the quad drifts pretty seriously in random directions when hovering in level or horizon mode. Acro mode is 100% perfect. No listing, no shuddering, nothing. When the quad is in flight (horizion mode is great, thank you Alex!), the thing flies beautifully. It's just this wandering in hover that I can't puzzle out.

Just for the sake of testing, I fiddled with the level PIDs. Over the course of that process, I added a total of 1.5 to P and .2 to I with no change in behavior.

Have any of you had this experience? I can't figure out what has changed so dramatically. I even added two more slices of black foam and tightened the zip ties. Nothing seems to affect this thing, but I know that isn't really the case. There is a reason it's happening, so there's a way to stop it.

Is there a way to filter the ACC code as there is for the Gyro?

Full size pictures here.

Your expertise is appreciated.

spag
Last edited by spagoziak on Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spagoziak

Re: Accelerometer Drift--caused by Vibration?

Post by spagoziak »

I figured it out!

There was *too much* padding on that board. I removed the layers of black foam pictured above and tightened the board down on the arms. Problem solved.