my X525 frame

tovrin

my X525 frame

Post by tovrin »

saturday i visited my local flight park finally, i had been hesitant to go until i resolved my vibration errors, i didnt want my copter in the air and have it dive bomb on me. but i fixed all that recently.

during my 3 batteries i managed to flip 3 times, in a row, after bouncing off the ground...

i shattered my X525 stock landing gear on one boom.

so i removed it and replaced all 4 landing gears with zip ties using the motor mounting bolts.

today i didnt get to go to the park, but i flew and tested heavily the landing gear with progressively harder landings and did not damage anything. Granted i did not purposely crash my quad sideways like what destroyed the last, I merely killed power in flight and let it hard land from different heights. BUT it held up remarkably well.

what i do notice is that if i dont use caution i can cause a bounce landing effect that is quite entertaining to watch but not very productive.

as a side note, removing all the metal offsets and screws i lost 100 grams, sitting at a beautiful 900 grams now without battery.

edit:// these are the biggest zip ties home depot offered, they are 1/2" wide 36" long, i cut one tie into 4 pieces, drilled holes in each end and attached it.

DDJoker

Re: my X525 frame

Post by DDJoker »

that is actually quit a nice idea

tovrin

Post by tovrin »

FYI, I'm planning on doubling up on the tie straps to minimize the compression as my battery still tags the ground every now and then, cant imagine thats good for anything!

doughboy

Post by doughboy »

that's quite creative.

did you just use double sided tape to mount the motor?

tovrin

Post by tovrin »

no, the motors and landing zip ties are mounted via original bolts through the aluminum bars of my frame. i broke the original motor mounts quicker than i did the landing gear :)

it works out really well because i believe the plastic of the zip tie bound to the motor mount helps minimize vibration from the motor.

Opal

Post by Opal »

Gorgeous idea it is, quitely works well~ ;)

brewski

Post by brewski »

Hi Tovrin,

I also built a quad using X525.
Did yours come with MWC 2.5 clone of Crius SE V2.5?

I did my maiden flight with standard settings & it performed extremely well. I didn't even have to trim TX as I'd already set up in GUI with 1000-2000 with 1500 mid for all functions on TX before even trying a flight.
Different story yesterday when I flew with 10-15Km/hr gusting breeze. Quad was heading for a tall tree, I over corrected then I rolled left before tree & hit ground from 5 metres at about 30km/hr..not good & I expected the worst!
The quad was in remarkable condition considering, with only two retracting landing legs ripped off.

I tested quad & no other damage..pretty sturdy design when you consider 1Kg hitting the hard ground doing this speed from 5m.

I've ordered a set of these fragile fibreglass landing legs & I will try your cable tie fix. The fibreglass retracting landing gear was a good idea to cushion shock, but any sideways forces result in instant destruction. Why didn't they use carbon fibre?
I'm thinking of using a leg as a template & making out of .5 mm alloy. These will be much stronger, about same weight & you can bend back on a bad landing.
A 3D printer could also turn out some cool landing legs.

Cheers..B