Y4 vs QuadX vs Quad+

tovrin

Y4 vs QuadX vs Quad+

Post by tovrin »

I need to rebuild my frame due to a limitation i created when i purchased my new motors;
I need to have room for props that are 10 inches+ or i am not creating enough lift with my slower 850Kv (vs my old microDan 1600Kv using gws 8x4 3 blade props)

http://www.ecalc.ch/xcoptercalc_e.htm?ecalc
Ive been using this calculator to determine that I need 10+ inch props on a 3s battery using all 4 motors to keep my hover throttle at 50%.

but since I'm rebuilding my frame, Id like to discuss what shape is best. I think the Y4 easily solves the orientation issue with a quad. but thats not a huge issue and is relatively easy to fix anyway. I have heard the Y shape is more stable for mounting a camera too, but it seems to make sense to me the QuadX would be the most stable.

I'm interested in aerial photography with my go pro hero2, I'm not real interested in acrobatics, yet.

but what are the noticeable pros and cons of each the 3 four common rotor shapes?

PatrikE

Re: Y4 vs QuadX vs Quad+

Post by PatrikE »

May i add V-Tail as a suitable model?
Basicly a Y4 But rear-engines orientated as a V.

tovrin

Post by tovrin »

I thought about adding that after the fact, so let the debate begin!

tovrin

Post by tovrin »

must just be personal preference, nobody seems to have much to say.

Bledi

Post by Bledi »

for me it's VTAIL. It's fly like a tri and have a lot of power.
Y4 was not a success for me. Impossible to find a good setup for the tail

mon_lolo_fr

Post by mon_lolo_fr »

Just to say that I personnaly prefer QuadX, for the look ;-), they're funny to fly !
For camera mounting purposes, I prefer a tricopter (or Y3/6) because of the angle of view you can exploit in the front of the copter (remember that a GoPro cam could be setup to achieve a 170° of field of view !), so if you don't want to see any prop/motor in the field of view, then a tricopter will do the best ;-)

copterrichie

Post by copterrichie »

The Y4 in its original design uses Torque Differential of the two rear rotors to create YAW and not very efficient in my opinion. It is also very difficult to balance the trust in relationship to the CG. The V-Tail on the other hand uses Thrust differential and this is why it has such great YAW authority.

kos

Post by kos »

tovrin wrote: nobody seems to have much to say.

http://diydrones.com/forum/topics/quad- ... cto-copter

big quad for me ..

next build will be a hexa with a vtail ( or an asctec falcon [1] clone )

1 : http://www.asctec.de/asctec-falcon-flugsystem/

tovrin

Post by tovrin »

all right, some good info there, thanks for the DIYDRONES link, very informational.

so basically, i learned...

Y3/Y4 - nice for keep props out of camera vision, easy for orientation, low stability, low efficiency. can not lose motor in flight
QuadX - 1/3 more thrust than even a Y4 due to design, better YAW control, better efficiency. can not lose motor in flight
Quad+ - no data to report
Hex - better efficiency, better stability (granting your weight to thrust ratio is sufficient), can lose a motor but will lose yaw.
Octo - best stability, best efficiency, most cost, can lose a single motor and easily survive.

and VTail - better control, decent effeciency, bad ass look.

I think I am going to rebuild my current frame into a slightly larger QuadX for now, but i want to start working on a VTail, as i have 4 1600KV motors, and 4 850KV motors with respective ESC's I could use to make it a very powerful VTail, if i can figure it out. which seems to be premium for camera work...

Bledi

Post by Bledi »