Rosewhite based plywood frame

rcflyrodeo

Rosewhite based plywood frame

Post by rcflyrodeo »

Hi,

I'd like to present my latest quadro. The idea was to build a cheap, yet compact and light quadro trainer with gyros & accels only. Inspired by the carbon Rosewhite frame
I designed a similar construction made of 3mm 5 layered plywood with a 48cm axle to axle ws. The arms are constructed of double sandwiched CNC milled plywood reinforced
vertically with a thin piece of plywood and press-glued together as in the picture. The result is impressive, the arms are slightly elastic yet impossible to brake by folding in hand.
Attachments
SAM_2745.JPG
SAM_2746.JPG

rcflyrodeo

Re: Rosewhite based plywood frame

Post by rcflyrodeo »

As the arms have now 6mm thickness I figured out that the central plates should be sandwiched to this distance in which 8 x 5mm Leds fit in perfectly with the laser cut plexyglas inlets and still enough place for a pcb which serves for:

- power connection of the ESCs and Lipo
- Mosfet driver for the LED inlets connected to the LEVEL signal
- Mosfet driver for the LED stripes on the arms connected to the Battery warning signal
Attachments
chop.JPG
SAM_2840.JPG

rcflyrodeo

Post by rcflyrodeo »

I used a simple Viacopter flight controller from Jussi, where I sligthly modified the pcb to have access to the LEVEL and battery warn signals. The flight controller was mounted on a 0.9mm thick fiberglass plate with the necessary vibration dampers.
I used a Futaba R617 6 channel receiver which I placed above the flight controller to have the shortest possible wire connection
Attachments
SAM_2892.JPG
SAM_2905.JPG

rcflyrodeo

Post by rcflyrodeo »

Here's it separately
Attachments
SAM_2888.JPG

rcflyrodeo

Post by rcflyrodeo »

The assembled frame with the Hobbywing Flyfun 12amp ESCs and the 2212-13 1000kv engines, 10x45 EPP props and 2200 3s Lipo
I mounted the cover of the spray used for the paint job to protect the flight controller.
The landing gear is made of 50mm hex nylon bolts M4 threaded and screwed to the frame, it is very rigid.
The whole weighs 600grs without the battery, 800 grs with the battery.
The raw wooden frame weighs 160grs
The reduced wingspan reported to the used engine/prop combination results a machine with very aggressive flight characteristics due to the high nick/roll rate,
therefore I had to reduce the P value to 2.6 to be less responsive.
Attachments
SAM_2921.JPG
SAM_2929.JPG
SAM_2981.JPG

rcflyrodeo

Post by rcflyrodeo »

One more close shot from the wiring, and the indoor maiden:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoDVORrmvtg
Attachments
SAM_2937.JPG

jevermeister

Post by jevermeister »

NICE!!!

Want one!

LenzGr

Post by LenzGr »

Good job, nicely done! A very clean and simple setup.

rcflyrodeo

Post by rcflyrodeo »

jevermeister wrote:NICE!!!

Want one!

If you want one I could offer u a frame set. I actually ordered 2 central PCBs so I have left one, got some plexiglas inlets too, all I had to do is to order and CNC cut the wooden parts.